QTsyndrome.chTo Spread The Word Of Long QT Syndrome

Long QT showed on one ECG and not the... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

QTsyndrome.ch Message Board » Acquired Long QT Syndrome » Long QT showed on one ECG and not the next? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vendredo
Username: Vendredo

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 04:26 am:   

Hi there,

I am a 42 year old female, no history of sudden death in my family that I know of.

I am posting because I am a bit confused. I was taken to hospital last Wednesday with acute abdominal pain. (6am)I had tried to take pain relief (naproxen sodium) but couldn't keep anything down.
I was originally taken to hospital (8am) for pain relief but while I was there I had an arrhythmia attack- my pulse was up and down randomly between 40-75bpm. They gave me an ECG (about 9am) at which time my pulse was in the 40's and the ECG showed a prolonged QTc.
I was feeling dizzy and nauseous most of this time, uncomfortably hot and then cold... I didn't lose consciousness but there was a period of time that was a bit foggy.
By 10am my pulse was still up and down between 45-65bpm (they gave me tramadol for pain relief at this time)-the variation became less over time so that by the time they decided to release me at 1pm it was between 58-63bpm.
My resting pulse is usually between 54-58bpm.

I had no chest pain and they were unable to determine the cause of the abdominal pain (though protein in urine suggests kidney stone as a possibility). The pain was relieved with tramadol.

If it wasn't for the bradycardia, they would have started me on beta-blockers then and there but decided against it, released me to go home and scheduled an appointment with the cardiologist the following Monday.

Monday came, I had been worrying all week and my pulse was up into the "normal" range (72 I think) and no prolonged QT showed on the ECG.
She is arranging a treadmill stress test.

My doctor tells me it's normal to show a long QT with bradycardia and the fact that I am 42 and this is the first we have seen of it suggests I am not about to drop dead anytime soon.

Is it possible to have bradycardia induced Long QT and live a normal life? Should I worry about getting my kids checked? Both my kids (daughter 13 and son 17) have asthma and lead fairly sedentary life styles.
Should someone be doing something more about this? Am I over-reacting by saying that considering I have a history of bradycardia and arrhythmia (I had an ecg before gall bladder surgery over a year ago which showed an irregular pulse with a variation of 11%)that I thought they would at least consider a pacemaker?
Is the treadmill test going to be of any use?

thanks in advance for any input I can get on this
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vendredo
Username: Vendredo

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 02:47 am:   

I came back to add that the reason I'm asking this question is that I live in New Zealand. The people I am seeing (doctor/cardiologist) are treating me as though I DON'T have prolonged QT even though it has shown on the ECG while I was feeling very unwell.
I have had previous episodes of feeling hot then cold, dizzy, shaking and heart racing but I have never fainted through them. My doctor tells me this is a good indication I probably never will... but this doctor also told me Long QT is not treated by beta blockers. (Actually a link to a fact sheet I could print off for him might be a useful resource?)
My son is 17 years old and coming into what seems the highest risk age group and I am having a hard time convincing anyone to evaluate him as well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration